Léo Duarte, ex-Flamengo, finally decided on Turkey after “the most difficult moment of his life” | international football
The chance of enjoying in Turkey introduced itself to Léo Duarte a yr and a half in the past, when the defender arrived resulting from a sophisticated damage that hampered him within the first weeks of Milan. And as an nearly inevitable departure, Istanbul Basaksehir turned a definitive profession possibility for the Brazilian. The former Flamengo participant has been purchased by the Turkish membership and is now prepared to start out his third season in native football.
Istanbul paid 2.5 million euros to depend on Léa, who signed a four-year contract with the Turkish membership. He decided to proceed within the workforce, the place he arrived in January 2021, with the approval of his household and in addition his personal coronary heart, which felt objected to within the Turkish capital.
– I received a sequence right here, from the primary moment I began enjoying, once I began coaching with my teammates, I felt that I might assist the membership, that the membership might assist me. It was the toughest interval of my life and so they opened doorways for me. I simply should thanks and it is nice to maintain sending them this technical suggestions, – says Léo Duarte.
Léo Duarte is now underneath contract with Istanbul Basaksehir till 2026 – Photo: Disclosure / Istanbul Basaksehir
The distinction within the expertise of the athlete in Basaksehir was big in comparison with Milan. After struggling bodily issues, Léo didn’t win the favor of coach Stefano Pioli and solely performed 9 video games for the Italian membership. He quickly received a spot in Turkey, to the extent that he turned an absolute newbie. In the 2020/21 season, there have been 21 official matches in half a season. And within the 2021/22 season, there have been 33 video games for the membership, 31 of them as a starter.
With a very good reception and a very good household adjustment, Leo decided that the very best factor for his profession was to remain in Istanbul, with out the issues of fixed adjustments. In truth, the actor says that he has managed to adapt properly to the native tradition, which is predominantly Muslim, as he additionally has extra conservative traits.
– It’s a distinct tradition. Here 99% of the inhabitants is Muslim and they’re very protecting of the household, not like what we see elsewhere in the present day. And I actually like that. I’m slightly extra conservative, extra home. And it is good for the household.
Now Léo Duarte is concentrated on successful trophies, having had no such expertise in Europe – and in his Flamengo days he ended up leaving just a few months earlier than the membership gained the Copa Libertadores and the Brazilian Championship.
– I performed some matches within the Libertadores, in Brazil, however if you find yourself not within the closing, within the picture, you do not actually really feel like a champion. So the credit score just isn’t mine. But I cheer for them so much and I used to be very glad about their achievements – he recollects.
The defender joined the membership in January 2021, on mortgage – Photo: Disclosure / Istanbul Basaksehir
Watch the total interview with Léo Duarte:
ge: After a season and a half in Turkish football, you have been completely transferred to Basaksehir. How do you are feeling after the obtain is full?
Leo Duarte: – After a season and a half right here at Basaksehir, they have been in a position to purchase me. I’m very glad, my household is customized right here, so am I. From the very first contact with the native membership, everybody opened their arms to me. I got here from difficult occasions to Italy and I’m very glad right here. I managed to get used to my football, I’m an necessary participant for the membership. And the most necessary factor is my happiness and the happiness of my household.
Was it your determination, slightly Milan? How was it talked about?
– It got here primarily from me, from the coach right here, from the workers who requested me to remain, continually known as me. And as a result of I’ve so much of affection for them and since of all the things we have been via on this yr and a half, I decided to remain. I’m already adjusted, it is an awesome nation, an excellent place. And I additionally take into consideration my kids’s future, to proceed in a single place, as a result of shifting from nation to nation may be very sophisticated, not just for me, but in addition for them.
And now that your time in Milan is over, how do you take a look at it? Do you remorse that it did not prove the way in which you imagined on the time?
– I’m a bit upset, not as a result of of the membership or the people who find themselves there, however as a result of of all the things that occurred. It was a difficult interval. God has a plan for all issues, however to talk a phrase would imply dangerous luck. After 10 days on the membership I received injured, I have never made my debut but. I attempted to coach as a lot as I might, however I used to be in so much of ache. And once I did the assessments, they discovered that I had damaged my heel. And from there started a sequence of dangerous alternatives for me. There was the issue of Covid that I had a small little one at residence.
It should not have occurred, it did not match. And as for me, after all that occurred, I used to be slightly dizzy, I used to be very unhappy, I went via a difficult moment and ultimately I did not give as a lot as I might. In the tip, I put football apart slightly as a result of of my head.”
— Léo Duarte, defender of Istanbul Basaksehir
So are you able to say you discovered your luck in European football there in Turkey?
– I received a sequence right here, from the primary moment I began enjoying, once I began coaching with my teammates, I felt that I might assist the membership, that the membership might assist me. It was the toughest interval of my life and so they opened doorways for me. I simply should say thanks and it is nice to maintain sending them this technical suggestions.
Did the membership positively shock you? What attracted you to Basaksehir?
– I used to be very shocked. When I heard about Turkey it was all the time unfavorable, however once I got here right here it was all the time very optimistic. It is a really perceptive nation, very reminiscent of Brazil, folks bear in mind Brazil very a lot. They have their very own tradition that it’s a must to respect, however general it jogs my memory of Brazil and I really feel at residence right here. The membership may be very organized, one of the most organized in Turkey.
And how about your damage? Do you are feeling 100% bodily?
– Since I got here right here, I hardly get damage. There is all the time a person plan for every athlete and I attempt to follow it weekly. They have particular care, nearer to the participant. And this helps me so much to work and develop bodily. Thank God, I have never had any damage, I’m all the time on the pitch. It’s good to have time, confidence and sequence.
The workforce was the champion earlier than your arrival, then it did not achieve this properly, and final yr they have been fourth. What is the purpose for this season? To be a champion?
– I arrived in January 2021, it was half of the season and the workforce was already preventing to not be relegated as a result of it had undergone a significant renovation, skilled gamers who left. Last yr, with the arrival of a brand new coach, we managed to succeed in fourth place. We might have accomplished higher, we misplaced some factors alongside the way in which. But the primary purpose of the season is to attempt to struggle for the title, and now, within the quick time period, a spot within the convention league.
And how do you see your opponents there? There was so much of discuss Jorge Jesus’ Fenerbahce, who additionally signed Brazilian gamers…
– I feel that is the workforce that has strengthened the most in Turkey this yr, it’s a nice workforce and has an awesome coach. I feel their distinction this yr would be the coach. I used to be in a position to work with Jorge Jesus for a short while and I do know his manner of working, very inflexible and really intense. And I feel if he manages to get the very best out of Fenerbahce’s gamers, I feel they’ll struggle, hopefully in opposition to us, for the title.
And culturally, what drew you and your loved ones there to Turkey?
– It’s a distinct tradition. Here 99% of the inhabitants is Muslim and they’re very protecting of the household, not like what we see elsewhere in the present day. And I actually like that. I’m slightly extra conservative, extra home. And it is good for the household. Apart from safety, you do not see a lot violence on the streets right here. Family security all the time comes first.
Did your loved ones ask to remain? How was the dialog along with your spouse and youngsters?
– My kids are nonetheless small, they’re solely two years previous. And what’s extra, my spouse weighed in, who additionally discovered some mates right here. I preferred it right here so much, I had just a few possibilities to go away, final yr’s champion was , however I most popular right here as a result of it is a membership I already know, I’m adjusted, I’ve my own residence, people who find themselves near me. So that is the primary factor.
The Turkish fan is understood to be very fanatical. How did you see? Is he taking classes from his Flamengo days?
– I feel whoever performs for Flamengo, performs wherever on the planet, wherever on the planet, there isn’t a comparability to the stress. When you win, it is the most stunning factor you might have, however if you lose, we all know it got here from beneath. But this can be a new membership, it is just eight years previous. There will not be many followers, our followers are nonetheless younger, largely kids. Unfortunately, they nonetheless do not fill the stadium. But I comply with different groups so much, for instance Galatasaray, who’s the primary supporter right here, and it is superb. People are very fanatical, and in contrast to Brazil, they do not take a lot violence. What occurs within the stadium, stays within the stadium. That’s it, go residence. But it is good to see, they make a really good celebration.
What has modified because you gained the cup at Flamengo and turned skilled?
– I feel I’ve matured so much within the final six years, now I’ve my family. Experience additionally counts on the sphere. I do not forget that in some matches firstly, resulting from uncertainty, lack of expertise, I did one thing silly unsuitable. But in the present day, with expertise, we will higher get out of difficult conditions on the pitch.
Can you comply with Flamengo from there?
– I comply with so much. Sometimes it is sadly late as a result of they’re six hours aside. But I all the time help Flamengo.
And what’s your profession plan? Are you planning to remain longer in Europe or are you already planning to return to Brazil?
– Brazilian football is among the many finest on the planet in the present day. But my intention is to remain in Turkey for now, I’ve 4 extra years. I hope to have nice seasons, keep yr after yr and attempt to win titles that matter. My intention is to proceed if issues come up right here in Europe… But who is aware of, perhaps I’ll return to Brazil too, I feel after thirty, in direction of the tip.
If you handle to develop into champion there, it will be the primary title in Europe, would not it? And in Flamengo, you left earlier than the achievements of 2019.
– This can be my first deal with right here, sure. (In Flamengo) I performed just a few matches for the Libertadores, for Brazil, however if you’re not within the closing, within the picture, you do not actually really feel like a champion. So the credit score just isn’t mine. But I help them so much and I used to be very pleased with their achievements.
So are you wanting ahead to the titles?
– I’m, sufficient. I’ve to win the title, it has been some time since I gained. The final one was Carioca 2019, it has three, going on 4 years. And that is necessary for an athlete’s profession, proper?